Sunday, March 23, 2014

Vegetable Biriyani

Its a long time since I blogged. I have made up mind to blog very often as it makes me feel good. I lost most of my pictures when my mobile crashed. I made vegetable biriyani and loved it. Let me take you through the traditional simple south indian recipe. This is my modified version.

Ingredients:
Basmati rice- 3 cups(washed thrice and kept aside).
Carrot- 3 medium nos(cubed)
Beans- 250 gms(cut in to large sizes)
Potato(large)- 2 nos(cut in to large pieces than carrot and beans)
Onions-2 (finely chopped)
Tomatoes-3 (diced)
Mint leaves-a bunch(cleaned and washed well)
Green chillies-5 nos(slit)
Cashews-100 gms(fried in 1 tbsp ghee fot garnishing)
Oil- 2 tbsp
Ghee-2 tbsp.
Ginger Garlic paste-2 tsps.

For Garnishing:
Coriander leaves-1bunch.

Spices:
Cinnamon-1" stick
Cardamom-3 nos
Cloves-2 nos
Fennel seeds-3 tsps.

Biriyani masala-2 tsps(any brand-available in indian shops).

Method:
In a heavy bottomed vessel or pan, add  1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp ghee . Once hot , add all the spices , green chillies, Onions and fry well. Add a pinch of salt. Fry till onions are translucent. Once onions are fried, add ginger garlic paste and fry well till the masala smell fades. Add the tomatoes and fry well. Add all the vegetables , biriyani masala and rice(coated with remaining one tbsp oil). Add mint leaves and add salt to taste. Transfer to the rice cooker and add the cashews fried in ghee. Add 6 cups of water with the same measuring cup used for rice measurement.  Wait till rice is cooked. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.


No comments: